Some things in the job interview process should be left unsaid and undone, they’ll damage your reputation, your professional image and mainly all hope of getting the job will just go out the window!
You normally won’t be given a second chance to redeem yourself, once you’ve said or done whatever it may be that has turned the Interviewer against you, that’s it! Game over!
We’ve put together a useful little list of things that you should never say or do in a job interview which you’ll hopefully put to good use, let’s go:
1. The Interviewer asks “where do you see yourself in five years time”, you come back with “in your seat” or “I’ll have your job” – Sure, it’s all well and good to be confident during your interview, but throwing out over the top / cocky statements like this will just annoy the interviewer and lose you the job.
2. *Ring ring, ring ring…* “hello?” – Do not, I repeat, DO NOT answer your mobile phone if it should start ringing in an interview! Keep it on silent or even better, off.
3. “So what do you guys do again?” or “I literally have no idea what your company does” – Failing the question “what do you know about our company” is very hard to do and can sometimes be an instant interview fail. Do the research! It’s so easy, just take 10-20 minutes to read up on them!
4. The Interviewer, “so what did you get up to in your last job”. You, “oh you know, stuff…” – Stuff? Stuff?! Really? Just tell them what you currently do / have done, it’s another ridiculously easy question to ace!
5. “Feedback, now! (please)” – Everyone likes feedback, it’s what helps us to improve and ultimately succeed at whatever it is we’re trying to accomplish, but asking for it there and then at the end of an interview is NOT the place! If you don’t succeed in the interview, then feel free to ask for it.
6. “Yes, that was a *!^& project” – Swearing is a huge no-no in a job interview, even if the person you’re talking to starts throwing down some colourful lingo, doesn’t mean you have to as well. Express your experience / skills by using proper words.
7. *Yawwwwn* – If you’re bored, or tired, try not to show it! You will never be taken seriously by any Interviewer ever if you’re like that! Sit up straight, lock onto the Interviewer and take an interest in what they are saying. (alternatively, learn to yawn with your mouth closed and drink a few Red Bulls before the interview begins).
8. Suited and booted! – Sure, it might be really tempting to put on those new jeans, t-shirt and trainers that you bought the other day, but I’m afraid professional attire is what you will always be expected to wear at an interview. Remember, it’s all about those first impressions!
9. “What’s cooking good looking?” – Avoid saying anything like this at all costs! This is a job interview! Not an opportunity to flirt with the Interviewer, no matter how stunning they may appear!
10. “Do you have any questions?” – show the Interviewer that you’re interested in the role by asking questions! Make them confident! Ask them some good’uns like the ones found here.
That’s it for another post from us! I hope you’ve enjoyed it and found it either useful and / or entertaining! This is just a very small collection which we will expand on at some point in the future.